Sunday, May 1, 2016

My Retail Job is Still Marketing Experience

Having a job working retail can some days feel as though it is just another job to pay my way through college. Turns out, it might actually be more marketing experience than I thought. At my current retail job, I have the flexibility to create fun and interesting sales displays to hopefully sell more product. The first time I was given this task I just completed the task and made the sales display look as nice as I could without putting in much thought. Turns out that product really does sell better when it is presented a little nicer.

Creating nice looking displays isn't always enough to convince customers to buy products though. A lot of thought needs to be put into creating displays. Simple things such as whis next to which can make a huge difference in what customers will buy. If you are trying to sell a certain purse you need to think about where the purse is positioned in the sales display and if it clashes with other items in the display. Also, the purse should be the most prominent feature of the sales display if that is what you are aiming to sell. If you are trying to sell a certain shirt or outfit, the rules change a little. With each different display, it takes critical thinking to decide how to put it together.
ich color

I have been working in retail a few years now, for a few different stores and I would have never thought about how much effort it takes to create a sales display. Next time you are in a store, look around at how different displays make you want certain items. Once you start to notice these small details you might even be a more rational consumer.

No comments:

Post a Comment